Sunday, April 19, 2009

Baby steps.

I called the WM for the Memphis lodge early in February. I was still spending alot of time with my grandmother but my school load was light. I told me to come talk to him since he worked at the Scottish Rite and it was right across the street from my school. I stopped by one afternoon and met him. I was surprised how young he was and what he did. He is working on a masters in college and also made time for the lodge. He invited me to lodge dinner before a meeting to meet some brothers. I attended that and was impressed with the array of people as well as how welcoming they were to me. During the dinner, I talked to some of the brothers and they informed me that I would have to go through an investigation. I was worried but they reassured me that it was informal and just so that they could get to know me.

I attended the interview and met some of the same guys I met at the dinner. The process was taking longer that I expected since it was now rounding on March. After a few questions that mirrored those on my petition, they asked me a few questions about what I do, my hobbies, etc. and gave me an opportunity to ask questions. Besides a few about how long the process takes (3 levels, at least 28 days between levels) and what was required to advance (learning some points on the level) I was satisfied since I had had several conversations with my grandfather. The WM told me that they would read and vote on my petition and that they would call me if I passed to take my first level.

In the second week of March, my grandmother passed away. At the funeral, Uncle Jimmy approached me and said that he would be at my first level. This was the first news I had heard since late february. He encouraged me to invite my grandfather and my other uncle who was also a mason. Later that evening, I got a phone call from the WM of the Memphis lodge informing me that my Entered Apprentice degree would take place the next thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment